What would you want in a replacement web interface?

Tue Nov 17 15:09:13 CET 2009

My main screen is the service problems, not the tactical overview. Maybe the tactical overview could (optionally) contain a list of all service problems?

> #2) When looking at a Host or a Service, what are the details you
> want/need to see?  What can you not live without?

For those people who use the FQDN as host name, I would love to see a way to sort hosts by domain. The sort should not be case sensitive. OK, that's not directly an answer to your question, but for me it's a little thing that would help enormously.

When monitoring hosts in several different domains, the host list is sorted by host name; domains aren't grouped together. Also, FQDNs aren't case sensitive, but Nagios is. That's primarily an issue when monitoring Windows servers.

> #3) What is your biggest gripe regarding the existing Nagios web user
> interface?

The Nagios navigation is too closely tied to the content. What I'd love to see is Nagios being a set of individual snippets that you can embed in your own Web site (plus a framework that ties them all together for those people who want to use it the current way). In my case, for instance, I'd love to be able to embed Nagios into Joomla pages. If the user clicks on a link within one of the Nagios pages (say, clicks on a service to see service details), it should be possible to forward such a click to the page that Nagios is embedded into and let the framework handle navigation.

A session-based authentication scheme would be nice.

The ultimate goal would be single-sign-on support; when logged into one of the common frameworks (in my case, again, Joomla), there should be a way for Nagios to retrieve the user name and password from the "parent" session without exposing the password.