Check for memory leaks

David Wallis wallis at aps.anl.gov
Thu Nov 19 19:29:54 CET 2009

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> Thanks for your reply. I do have the pnp4-nagios utility installed on
> the Nagios server.
> Among the trends that are graphed by it is Current Load.
>
> If Current Load is the trend to look at, which of the three data
> sources associated with it,
> load1 load5 load15, would be the one affiliated with memory?

Load average (current load) is the average number of processes that are
ready to run, averaged over 1, 5 and 15 minutes. Load average has
nothing to do with memory utilization.

There is no way to directly detect a memory leak... especially a slow
one. Nagios generally concerns itself with the status of some measured
value at the time of the check. You can check the amount of available
memory, and report back if the total free memory is less than some
threshold,  but there is no plugin that checks the status of memory over
time.

--
David Wallis
Information Technology