Check for memory leaks

Marcel mitsuto at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 19:21:40 CET 2009

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. <AHKAPLAN at partners.org>wrote:

> I do have the pnp4-nagios utility installed on the Nagios server.
> Among the trends that are graphed by it is Current Load.

If Current Load is the trend to look at, which of the three data sources
> associated with it,
> load1 load5 load15, would be the one affiliated with memory?

Load means the number of processes per processor waiting in the scheduler's
RUN QUEUE. The load1 is the average of that number in the last minute, load5
it's the same average within 5 minutes, and load15 the same for the last 15
minutes. It does NOT relates to memory leak detection.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. <AHKAPLAN at partners.org>wrote:

>>  There are indications that an application on the monitored system is
>> causing a slow memory leak.
>> Is there a plugin or histogram setting that is available that would help
>> check for memory leaks on
>> the remote system? Thanks.
>>
> Trending is more suitable for graphing solutions that uses RRDs.
> Nagios is more likely to be used as an exception monitoring tool, though it
> might be used to generate graphs as well.

Cheers,