Custom Macros in Service Definitions?

Marcel mitsuto at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 17:45:14 CET 2009

Hi,

I have several webservers that have over 20 (virtual)interfaces each.

So I've defined the host with custom macros for each private IP:

define host{
   use  linux-server
   _ip_private_VIP_1 10.4.200.101
   _ip_private_VIP_2 10.4.201.101
   }

Now I want to refer to this $_HOSTip_provate_VIP_1$ macro in services
definitions, but nagios is complaining about not finding the service.

The documentation isn't clear whether or not custom macros could be used in
service definitions.

I've a command like this:

define command{
   command_name   check_http_str_return_args
   command_line      $USER1$/check_http -I $ARG1$ $ARG2$
   }

And the service definition:

define service{
   use generic-service
   (...)
   check_command check_http_str_return_args!$_HOSTip_private_VIP_1$!-u / -t
10 -w 3 -c 5 -e HTTP/1.1 200 OK
   }

My question is:

Is it by design that custom macros should NOT be used in service
definitions?

Because I'd need to create ONE COMMAND per VIP just to use custom macros?

I would like to set just one services, to use just ONE command, and be able
to check the whole webserver farm.

Best regards,
Marcel