Need help with configuration of NRPE !

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Nov 6 14:50:52 CET 2009

On Nov 6, 2009, at 4:05 AM, jonas kellens wrote:

> [nagios at vps ~]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
> check_asterisk_peers
> NRPE: Unable to read output

Enable NRPE debug mode and look in /var/log/messages for errors.
Ensure that you do not have the sudoers option 'requiretty' enabled.

> [nagios at vps ~]$ sudo /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
> localhost -c check_asterisk_peers
> Password:
> Sorry, user nagios is not allowed to execute '/usr/local/nagios/
> libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c check_asterisk_peers' as root on
> vps.domain.tld.

This is expected to break. You didn't add /usr/local/nagios/libexec/
check_nrpe to the sudoers file (that you've shown), nor should you
need/want to. Don't use sudo here.

> What do I need to do to make the NRPE work ????????

Take a deep breath... We're happy to help get non-standard plugins
working if we can. With what you've posted so far, NRPE seems to be
properly configured and you might just have a problem with sudo or
your custom plugin. sudo can be finicky.

> If I can't get it to work on localhost, it will definitely not work
> on Nagios checking the remote Asterisk-server.

I can think of several reasons off-hand why this statement wouldn't be
true, not least of which is your test above ;) As a general rule
though, it's ok. =)

> Please help me with the correct configuration of NRPE and my nagisk-
> plugin.

NRPE, probably; nagisk-plugin, maybe not so much since we don't know
where you got it, how it works or what it's requirements are.

--
Marc