check-host-alive and ping service check

AJay ajay at wxsec.com
Wed Nov 4 02:05:42 CET 2009

I think you just get things complicated. These two checks are both default definition. In my case, I just disabled the PING service.

 AJay - nagios beginner

  From:  "Khanh Truong"<k11h12anh at gmail.com>;
 Date:  Wed, Nov 4, 2009 07:55 AM
 To:  "nagios-users"<nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>;

 Subject:  [Nagios-users] check-host-alive and ping service check

 Hi,

 I noticed that the check-host-alive and the PING service are the same checks. This unecessarily creates double checks and duplicate rrd data if you have both of them on. But the dashboard views are better when you have both of them so my question is... how can I consolidate these two checks so that either the PING uses the check-host-alive data or the check-host-alive uses the PING's data and checks?

 Ken