Delay sending SMS alerts....

Martin Melin mmelin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:58:58 CET 2009

If you'd like a "queue" of messages, I'd say that this is outside the scope
of the Nagios logic and should be best handled by the notification script
itself (have it queue up messages outside of certain time periods)

However it doesn't seem productive to get spammed with SMS messages at 7 AM
if a problem has been going on all night.

In this case I would recommend setting up a few escalation definitions and
using the optional escalation_period directive to apply them to different
time periods. So you'd have one escalation definition (with interval etc)
for the night, one for morning + evening and one for normal hours. See
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/escalations.html for more info on
this.

Using escalations in this way also lets you for example have a group of
"critical" servers/services that will spam you via SMS if they're down, and
have everything else go to your normal email box.

Regards,
Martin Melin