unusual behavior

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 27 16:11:15 CEST 2009

Terry L. Inzauro wrote:
> List,
>
> I have an odd occurrence that I cant seem to work out.
>
> I have a host with various services defined that belongs to a hostgroup and such. The other day, the host had some IP issues
> that cause nagios to report that the services were down.  After the host came back up, there was one service (check_dig) that
> still reported as being down. All other services were fine (check_ssh, check_users, check_load, check_ping, check_procs).
>
> The only workaround that allowed the check_dig to return to normal was to change the  'host_name' and 'alias' in the host
> definition.
>
> 	host_name               host-mgmt
>         alias                   host.dom.tld
>
> It seemed that there was a cached or stale entry stored somewhere....Any ideas as to why this would be?

Does the host get its IP from DHCP?
If yes, I'd assume the check_dig-based service check tried to verify
that the host itself had a certain IP but it got a different one
when you brought it back up, although why you'd want to resolve the
name of a host with dynamic ip-assignment is beyond me.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.