Odd check_http error

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Sat May 16 05:39:03 CEST 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009 16:17:50 -0400, Andrew Davis <nccomp at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Oddly enough, low-level tests show an HTTP 302, which I expect. But
>Nagios is offering up a 400 error and a warning:
>
> From my workstation, confirming the server is configured correctly:
>
>    gentoo:~ adavis$ telnet seth 8080
>    Trying 10.1.1.23...
>    Connected to seth.fl.ad.scripps.edu.
>    Escape character is '^]'.
>    GET /gp HTTP/1.0
>    Host: seth
>    Accept: */*
>    Connection: Keep-Alive
>    Pragma: no-cache

Run the check_http as defined in the command definition, appending the
-v argument.  You'll get to see what the check_http command is
executing.  I suspect your command definition is incorrect, and you're
missing something that is supposed to be triggering the "host" header.

[.. snip ..]

> From services.cfg:
>
>    ## HTTP - alternate port
>    define service {
>            host_name                       seth
>            service_description             HTTP
>            check_command                   check_http!-p 8080!-u
>    /gp/pages/login.jsf
>            notes
>    http://$HOSTADDRESS$:8080/gp/pages/login.jsf
>            max_check_attempts              3
>            normal_check_interval           15
>            retry_check_interval            1
>            check_period                    24x7
>            notification_interval           120
>            notification_period             24x7
>            notification_options            w, u, c, r, f, s
>            contact_groups                  unixadmins
>            action_url
>    /nagios/pnp/index.php?host=$HOSTNAME$&srv=$SERVICEDESC$
>    }

Where is your define command?

>And the result in Nagios:
>
>    HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 400 No Host matches server name seth

Hrm... this is odd, looks like you are posting the right host entry
(would still like to see the command definition).  The host entry for
"seth", is the address defined the same as the IP you are getting when
you telnet to the name? ie:

define host {
  host_name   seth
  address        10.1.1.23