Nagios / NRPE on HPUX v3

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Fri May 15 17:45:11 CEST 2009

I have just installed nagios from the HPUX Internet Express cd, where it comes as a depot. Running it locally, it comes up as V2.12. I added it to the inetd.conf and services and forced inetd to recheck its config.

bash-3.2# grep -i nrpe /etc/*
/etc/inetd.conf:nrpe         stream tcp nowait nagios /usr/bin/nrpe -c /opt/iexpress/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd
/etc/services:nrpe            5666/tcp        # NRPE

When I telnet to the machine on the port, it throws back as if I had entered the command with no switches at the machine prompt (included at end).

If I run it locally

bash-3.2# /usr/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -p 5666
CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

So I try without ssl (even though openssl is installed)

bash-3.2# /usr/libexec/check_nrpe -n -H localhost -p 5666
CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from daemon.

Because when I telnet its giving the nrpe command, am I right in thinking for somereason its not loading the conf file? If not, how can I remedy this situation?

[root at mido ~]# telnet amidala 5666
Trying 172.16.165.149...
Connected to amidala.curamsoftware.com (172.16.165.149).
Escape character is '^]'.

NRPE - Nagios Remote Plugin Executor
Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Version: 2.12
Last Modified: 03-10-2008
License: GPL v2 with exemptions (-l for more info)
SSL/TLS Available: Anonymous DH Mode, OpenSSL 0.9.6 or higher required

** POSSIBLE SECURITY RISK - TCP WRAPPERS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!  **
**      Read the NRPE SECURITY file for more information     **

Usage: nrpe [-n] -c <config_file> <mode>

 -n            = Do not use SSL
 <config_file> = Name of config file to use
 <mode>        = One of the following two operating modes:
   -i          =    Run as a service under inetd or xinetd
   -d          =    Run as a standalone daemon

Notes:
This program is designed to process requests from the check_nrpe
plugin on the host(s) running Nagios.  It can run as a service
under inetd or xinetd (read the docs for info on this), or as a
standalone daemon. Once a request is received from an authorized
host, NRPE will execute the command/plugin (as defined in the
config file) and return the plugin output and return code to the
check_nrpe plugin.

Connection closed by foreign host.