Concise list of best overall performance tweaks

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu May 14 23:01:56 CEST 2009

2009/5/14 Andrew Davis <nccomp at gmail.com>:
> If running the latest version(s) of Nagios and the plugins, using mysql, and
> gathering trending info, is there a list available of the best performance
> tweaks one can make?

Not to my knowledge, no.

> I seem to read a lot that mySQL is a resource whore
> when also on the Nagios server. Some have commented on seeing significant
> increases when moving it elsewhere. Others have mentioned adding lines like
> "innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2" into the mysql config file, while
> others have also mentioned database indexes, etc. Of course, for non-DBA's,
> knowing which databases to create indexes on (or how to do it without
> mucking it up) are up for debate. Log file rotation is always a good one,
> but this seems to be built into Nagios 3.x, though I've read of people
> running Cacti on their Nagios server as well and Cacti has no default log
> rotation. So... perhaps everyone could include the steps they took to
> resolve various performance issues... perhaps also including the actual
> steps taken (ie: if making indexes, which ones and why) and we can cull them
> into the Nagios wiki on NagiosExchange?

My opinion FWIW is that sort of information should go in to the
installation scripts (in the case of required  indexes) and in to the
package README (in the case of MySQL tweaks).  In fact if I don't see
them in the next release I might even have a go at submitting these
changes myself (although I've never used cvs/git/svn/whatever so it
might be a steep learning curve for me).

The proof of the pudding, so they say, is in the eating! :-)

Cheers,

Jim