Assigning contacts to hosts confusion

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Thu May 14 02:14:04 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 5/13/09 7:57 PM, Frater, Greg J wrote:

> Can someone help me understand the best way to assign contacts to hosts
> en masse? In version 1.x, we would create a hostgroup put the hosts that
> we needed in it and then assign a contact group to that hostgroup, done
> deal. Now it appears that under Nagios 3 to accomplish the same thing I
> have to create the hostgroup as before and then go to each host and
> assign a contact or contact group to it. That's much more tedious than
> the old way, am I missing something? Please tell me there's an easier
> way that I'm overlooking.

Create a host template and assign your contacts there.

If you need to *override* contacts inherited from the template, do it in
the host declaration itself like you would normally do. Exemple:

define host {
   address                 127.0.0.1
   alias                   localhost
   contacts                just_this_one
   host_name               localhost
   use                     generic-host
}

If you need to *add* contacts to the list of contacts already inherited
from the template, add a "+" in front of the list of contacts in the
host declaration. Example:

define host {
   address                 127.0.0.1
   alias                   localhost
   contacts                +oh_and_add_this_one_too
   host_name               localhost
   use                     generic-host
}

Reference:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html
-> Implied/Additive Inheritance in Escalations

--
Mathieu