Monitoring hosts/services in seconds

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue May 12 09:52:45 CEST 2009

2009/5/12 Ales Rikovsky <Ales.Rikovsky at upol.cz>:
> Is it possible to monitor  hosts/services in interval specified in
> second? Seems that interval could be given in minutes. Am I right or not?
> Or is there another way to monitor/be informed/have history of suspected
> switch, host or printer dropouts more accurately?

You can reduce the interval length in the main configuration file.

See http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html#interval_length

You will also need to look at various other configuration directives
to see how this will affect various aspects of the Nagios system.

Another option is you can configure a cron job to run every few
seconds (yes that is possible, you create a script running every
minute which does, for example "foo ; sleep 15 ; foo ; sleep 15 ...").
 The cron job can submit passive results back to nagios either by
writing the command file directly or via nsca.

Personally, I consider that it is unlikely that anyone will respond to
an alert in only a few seconds so a minute interval length seems quite
reasonable to me.  In fact, I rarely use one-minute check intervals,
most in my system are configured at two, five or even more minute
intervals.

hth,

Jim