Im confused about scheduled downtime and notifications

Frater, Greg J GJFRATER at bechtel.com
Thu May 7 18:36:11 CEST 2009

>> Hi All,
>>
>> We've just migrated from Nagios 1 to 3.0.6.  I have a host that was in
>> scheduled downtime and turned off.  I turned it back on, while still
>> in scheduled downtime, and got a HOST UP alert for it.  Is this
>> expected behavior?  Could I have a misconfiguration somewhere, where should I look?
>> Has anyone else seen this?

>I've occasionally seen notifications for hosts in scheduled downtime, but only in the few seconds after restarting the Nagios daemon.  I don't think it's >expected behaviour, no.

In this case the daemon had been running for 3 days.

>I've not bothered to find a fix for it, as it happens only rarely and so long as I don't restart the daemon at three in the morning, it won't bother anyone.

This was on a host that had just been retired, I turned it back on to get a file off of it and that's when the alert was sent, it had been offline for a while.  The interesting thing was that Nagios only sent a UP alert when I shut it down again (a few minutes later) the alerts for down were not sent (as would be expected).  It does not appear to be a major problem (no one else responded), I'm not going to worry about it too much.  Thanks for your feedback.

-greg