monitoring critical servers - best practices

alfonso baldaserra alfonso.baldaserra at gmail.com
Wed May 6 11:15:21 CEST 2009

> max_check_attempts 2, notification_interval 10. Looks like you just
> need to change check_interval. I use --
>
>         check_interval           5
>         retry_interval            3
>         max_check_attempts              3
>
> > I have checked nagios archives for check_interval, retry_interval
> > and max_check_attempts and as a result I got totally confused.
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated.
> >
> > P.S.  I request nagios developers to either change these options to
> > something more meaningful or provide some real life examples.
> > Apparently there are many users which have been confused by these
> > options as seen in archives.
>
> What would you suggest? The names seem obvious to me but I may be
> jaded. The documentation is pretty clear on what they mean/do as well,
> at least to me.
>
> Real life examples are provided in the sample config files (or used to
> be). The documentation links that may help you are (some redundancy
> between them) --
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/statetypes.html
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/activechecks.html
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/servicechecks.html
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service
>
> And this one from the -2.0 docs that nicely explains much of the
> scheduling... It's a little dated wrt host checks but for the most
> part is a good read--
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/checkscheduling.html

i had been waiting for people to share their experience monitoring mission
critical systems but it seems there are not many people who do that.

thank you marc for sharing the information.

p.s. now i am counting on nagios developers to expand on this topic possibly
by giving some real life examples.

thanks