check_icmp and check_host

Meyer Jerome Jerome.Meyer at baldata.ch
Wed May 6 16:50:15 CEST 2009

Hi

> Meyer Jerome wrote:
> >

> > Hi
> >

> > I still have many questions about nagios J.
> >
> > Yeah, there're many documentations on the Web, but that is not
always
> > obvious to find what I seeks...
> >

> > 1)  So, I've create a link for my check_host to check_icmp! But I
want
> > to known what do you think about that, is ok? Or is there a special
> > plugins for check_host?
> >

> Linking check_icmp to check_host is, generally, a Good Thing(tm). I
> assume we're talking filesystem links here btw. This is so because
> check_icmp does some special magic if it's called by the name
> check_host which can tremendously speed things up when services go
> haywire but the host is still up and running just fine.

Yes, it's a filesystem links!

> > 2)  Some cgi files doesn't exist under /usr/local/nagios/sbin/ like:
> > statusmap.cgi, trends.cgi and histogram.cgi! why and where could I
find
> > this files?
> >

> make install-cgis

So, that's was my way :
./configure --with-gd-lib=/usr/lib --with-gd-inc=/usr/include
--enable-embedded-perl --with-perlcache --prefix=/usr/local/nagios
--sysconfdir=/etc/nagios --localstatedir=/var/nagios
--with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=/nagios
--with-command-group=/nagcmd
make install-init
make install-commandmode
make install-config

Could I just make install-cgi now, it's not to late????

> should build and install the cgi's for you.
>
> > 3)  I want to have some graphs for by example the <availability>!
Has
> > someone ideas where I can find documentation about that? It's easy
> > implement???
> >

> It's far from easy to implement, and especially so if you want to get
> all the corner-cases right. Fortunately though, there are solutions
> ready-made for this, although I don't know how most of them work.
>
> There's one at http://www.op5.org (check under code library, I think)
> that's a bit of a challenge to set up unless you're using RPM-based
> system, but it's just pure awesome when it's actually up and running.

Do you means that the aren't graphs by default?

Thanks
jerome