check_icmp and check_host

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 6 16:29:44 CEST 2009

Meyer Jerome wrote:

> Hi
>

> I still have many questions about nagios J.
>
> Yeah, there're many documentations on the Web, but that is not always
> obvious to find what I seeks...
>

> 1)  So, I've create a link for my check_host to check_icmp! But I want
> to known what do you think about that, is ok? Or is there a special
> plugins for check_host?

Linking check_icmp to check_host is, generally, a Good Thing(tm). I
assume we're talking filesystem links here btw. This is so because
check_icmp does some special magic if it's called by the name
check_host which can tremendously speed things up when services go
haywire but the host is still up and running just fine.

> 2)  Some cgi files doesn't exist under /usr/local/nagios/sbin/ like:
> statusmap.cgi, trends.cgi and histogram.cgi! why and where could I find
> this files?

make install-cgis

should build and install the cgi's for you.

> 3)  I want to have some graphs for by example the <availability>! Has
> someone ideas where I can find documentation about that? It's easy to
> implement???

It's far from easy to implement, and especially so if you want to get
all the corner-cases right. Fortunately though, there are solutions
ready-made for this, although I don't know how most of them work.

There's one at http://www.op5.org (check under code library, I think)
that's a bit of a challenge to set up unless you're using RPM-based
system, but it's just pure awesome when it's actually up and running.

HTH

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.