check_icmp and check_host

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 6 16:07:34 CEST 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Meyer Jerome wrote:

> Hi
>
> I still have many questions about nagios J.
> Yeah, there’re many documentations on the Web, but that is not
> always obvious to find what I seeks…
>
> 1)  So, I’ve create a link for my check_host to check_icmp! But I
> want to known what do you think about that, is ok? Or is there a
> special plugins for check_host?

You don't need a special plugin. Anything that will return a non-OK
state when the host is down is fine. A ping/icmp check is most common
for this purpose and check_icmp will work fine.

> 2)  Some cgi files doesn’t exist under /usr/local/nagios/sbin/ like:
> statusmap.cgi, trends.cgi and histogram.cgi! why and where could I
> find this files?

This is in the FAQ. The GD libs are not installed or were not found at
compile time. The output of ./configure will likely contain references
to this as well.

> 3)  I want to have some graphs for by example the <availability>!
> Has someone ideas where I can find documentation about that? It’s
> easy to implement???

Nagios has integrated availability reporting via the Availability menu
option(s) though I wouldn't necessarily call it a graph. I think what
you're looking for is the histogram mentioned above...

--
Marc