Monitoring applications through NSCA

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Mar 31 10:11:02 CEST 2009

2009/3/30 Kumar, Ashish <xml.devel at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I am planning to move application/process monitoring setup from active
> to passive monitoring.
>
> I read http://nagios.sourceforge.net/download/contrib/documentation/misc/NSCA_Setup.pdf
> but it doesn't really help on how to setup scripts and how monitoring
> is done with NSCA, for example, how to setup scripts, what would be
> configuration entry for that.
>
> I tried searching online and nagios-users archive without luck.  I
> will appreciate if someone could share their configuration or may be
> provide some pointers on how to set it up.

Have a look on NagiosExchange http://www.nagiosexchange.org for a
script called nsca_wrapper.  You might need to edit the script
slightly to make it work on AIX.  This allows you to run your checks
from cron, for example:

05,20,35,50 * * * * /usr/local/nagios/scripts/nsca_wrapper -H
thishostsname -S SWAPFREE -C "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_swap -w
20 -c 10" > /usr/local/nagios/var/log/check_swap.log 2>&1

You will need to set up passive checks in your Nagios configuration to
receive these check results.  For example, my template "nsca" looks
like this:

define service {
  name                  nsca
  check_freshness       1
  freshness_threshold   3600
  active_checks_enabled 0
  max_check_attempts    1
  check_command         check_nothing
  register              0
}

And my actual service definition looks like this:

# Passive checks for AIX servers
define service{
  use                   nsca,generic-service
  host_name             thishostsname
  service_description   SWAPFREE
  check_command         check_nothing
  notes                 Records total amount of swap free.
}

The Check Command "check_nothing" simply does nothing.

If you have trouble getting nsca_wrapper to work under AIX, give me a
shout and I'll send you a copy.

hth,

Jim