Best reporting tools

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 30 13:58:54 CEST 2009

Andrew Davis wrote:
> I'm looking to add some reporting functionality to Nagios... something
> that can report on hostgroups and servicegroups, among others.
> NagiosExchange lists NagiosSLA and NaReTo. NagiosSLA looks good but is
> flagged as being for 2.x only and we're running 3.x. NaReTo looks like
> something to look at as well, but is somewhat old.
>
> Can you guys share what you're doing via addons or customizations (or
> even the built in, stock tools) for reporting (daily, weekly, monthly,
> etc)? Any options preferred over others?

We're using our own home-brewed version of Availability and SLA reporting.
We had a look at what was out there and a lot of testing determined that
none of them scaled as well as what we'd hoped. Instead we had to write
our own, which uses quite a lot of tricks to get 100% accurate numbers
while at the same time supporting huge installations with rather modest
disk space, memory and cpu power requirements.

It uses an API to get the figures, so if you have some other tool where
you can feed raw numbers and get reports formatted specifically to your
needs (instead of barcharts, piecharts and fairly boring numbers), that
would work too.

You can download the sources from http://www.op5.org. There's a sandbox
set up at www.op5.com/sandbox where you can create reports to see how
it works and looks. Contact me off-list if you want a password without
registering.

Let me know if you need help getting started.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.