Nagios customization question...

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Mar 26 21:06:40 CET 2009

2009/3/26  <Michael.Washington at fitchratings.com>:

> The gurus have asked me to include the following scripting in our branch
> office Nagios server configuration in order to monitor a remote co-location
> site DNS server .   I understand how/where to include the
> host/service/contact/command definitions scripting, but where (what
> file(s)) do I include the company_check_dns scripting command set procedure
> listed near the bottom?  I am running v3.0.2 on Fedora with the quick
> installation setup.

[snip stuff I assume you're happy with]

> define command{
>        command_name    company_check_dns
>        command_line    $USER2$/company_check_dns $HOSTADDRESS$
>        }

Above is the command definition which hopefully you're happy with.
Note the use of "$USER2$" rather than the usual "$USER1$".  This
refers to a macro containing a path to the location of your script.
You should find this in your resource file.  See
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html#resource_file

> ####### company_check_dns
> #!/bin/bash
>
> PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/nagios/company-plugins
>
> DOMAINSTOCHECK="ftp.company1.com company.com company2.com comp\
> any3.com company4.com company5.com"
>
> for i in `echo $DOMAINSTOCHECK`; do
>        RESULT=`check_dns -H $i -s $1 | grep CRITICAL`
>        if [ "x$RESULT" != "x" ]
>        then
>                echo "DNS CRITICAL - $1 - $i"
>                exit 2
>        fi
> done
>
> echo "DNS ok - $1";
> exit 0
> #######end of company_check_dns

The above is what you should create as your plugin - copy this in to a
file under the directory which $USER2$ points to and make it
executable.
[ snip contact definitions which I assume you're happy with]

hth,

Jim