monitoring remote networks

Mark Weaver mweaver at compinfosystems.com
Thu Mar 19 12:54:38 CET 2009

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2009, at 6:29 AM, Mark Weaver wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm running Nagios 3 on a CentOS 4.7 server. I've got it monitoring
>> other windows and linux servers on the LAN as well as all the Windows
>> Desktops, both XP Pro and Vista. All runs very well, however now I've
>> got to take the next step:
>>
>> How do I use this same Nagios server to monitor remote client networks
>> using the NSClient?
>>

> It shouldn't be any different than the windows monitoring you're
> presumably doing now with nsclient on your LAN (did you end up using
> that?) Across your LAN or across the world, it's all the same to
> nagios presuming there's network connectivity between the two.
>
> Is there a particular or special issue you have to deal with in that
> case?
>
> --
> Marc

Marc,

That network connectivity is the internet. There's not site-to-site VPN
connection involved here. Sure, I could make one, but if I can do this
without it would be better. I would rather not have to deploy an
expensive router (Sonicwall TZ190) at every client site where I'm going
to setup monitoring.

The other thing that bothers me is this: On my LAN where the nag server
resides, using active checks I can check windows servers easily for all
the important stuff like Exchange, MS SQL, etc... however I've not seen
so far any discernible method of doing this with the NSClient since
those checks are passive I'm completely dependent on what data that
client sends me.

Without a site-to-site VPN I can see no way to accomplish what needs to
be done.

Basically I'd like to be able to do what I can do locally on remote
networks across the internet without the added layer of a site-to-site VPN.

The reason for my Nagios setup is to get away from expensive and over
priced Kaseya deployments. As a small business I offer managed services
for small to medium sized businesses. I need a monitoring tool. Kaseya
is ok, but is a pain in my ass because it only runs on one platform and
I don't particularly care of MS SQL as the backend I've got to depend on
if the thing breaks. I'd much rather use Linux and MySQL.

I've looked at Pandora, which has clients for the various platforms, but
isn't quite as easy to setup as Nagios is. ( I can't believe I just said
that!!) So I'm weighing my options here so see which platform is going
to work best for my business and what I'm offering clients.