monitoring remote networks

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Mar 18 13:38:48 CET 2009

2009/3/18 Mark Weaver <mweaver at compinfosystems.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm running Nagios 3 on a CentOS 4.7 server. I've got it monitoring
> other windows and linux servers on the LAN as well as all the Windows
> Desktops, both XP Pro and Vista. All runs very well, however now I've
> got to take the next step:
>
> How do I use this same Nagios server to monitor remote client networks
> using the NSClient?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mark

Put simply, you monitor the remote systems in exactly the same way as
you already monitor your local ones.  I suggest you might also like to
monitor the routers and switches which connect your remote sites to
your local lan and set up the parent relationships appropriately too.

Somehow I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at though.  Is
there something which is stopping you from simply doing this?  If it's
a firewall in the way for example, you'll need to enable whichever
port numbers you're using to communiicate with NSClient.  By default,
NSClient uses port 1248. If you're using NSClient++ it uses port 12489
by default for NSClient connections and 5666 for nrpe.

I'm not convinced Nagios is entirely suitable for monitoring ordinary
desktop PCs, as people will usually turn them off and on whenever they
like.  There may be some value in receiving SNMP traps from them
though and it might be useful to use it to test they have virus
checker up-to-date and working.  No doubt someone here will come back
with some other reasons to convince me otherwise too.

Cheers,

Jim