Stuck on NRPE for OS X Server

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:59:24 CET 2009

I have two Mac OS X servers, one running 10.3, the other running 10.4.
Neither can be upgraded to 10.5 due to third party s/w constraints. Both
are PPC based XServe's.

Trying to compile nrpe with:

    ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/nagios --enable-ssl

Initially, I got the "cannot find ssl libraries" error:

    ~
    checking for SSL headers... SSL headers found in /usr/local/ssl
    checking for SSL libraries... configure: error: Cannot find ssl
    libraries

I downloaded the latest openssl and built it with:

    ./config --prefix=/usr/local shared --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl
    make
    make test
    make install

I then had to edit ~/src/nrpe/configure and change the reference from
libssl.so to libssl.dylib

After that, nrpe compiled cleanly and I was able to move
~src/nrpe/src/nrpe to /usr/local/sbin and start xinetd up. I've
confirmed that port 5666 is open and xinetd is running:

    /usr/local/src/nrpe-2.12/src root# ps waux|grep xinet|grep -v
    greproot   29066   0.0 -0.0    27484    308  ??  Ss    3:53PM
    0:00.02 /usr/sbin/xinetd -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid -stayalive
    /usr/local/src/nrpe-2.12/src root# netstat -an|grep 5666tcp4
    0      0  *.5666                 *.*                    LISTEN

However, when connecting from the remote server, I get:

    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H host.mydomain.org
    CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

The same test but w/o SSL gives yields:

    [nagios at nephilim src]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -n -H
    host.mydomain.org
    CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon.  Check the remote server
    logs for error messages.

So two questions:

1) I'm a UNIX guy, but obviously Mac's are A) different and B) a tad
different being BSD-based. So what's the proper way to stop/restart the
xinetd daemon?
2) Any thoughts on SSL handshake error? I've googled it, but I'm not
getting very far.

Anyone have a step-by-step for compiling nagios plugins and NRPE from
source on OS X 10.x (specifically 10.3 and 10.4)? I'm using NRPE for all
other internal hosts, so I prefer to use it for the Mac's too. I know I
could do it via check_by_ssh and get around this, but I prefer to use
NRPE if I can.

--

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan