delay notifications on passive checked services

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Mar 18 13:23:52 CET 2009

2009/3/18 Jaime Ventura <jaimeventura at ipp.pt>:
> Hello.
>
> I have configured an UPS to send traps to nagios.
> Lately we are experiencing  micro-outages (less than 1 minute) ad that
> is causing nagios to send messages OK and CRITICAL every time it happens.
>  I wanted nagios to send a notification only when a passive checked
> service being on CRITICAL state more than 1 minute (preventing nagios to
> send notifications on this micro-outages).
>
> With active checks its possible to specific a how many checks are made
> before sending a notification. But im using passive checks.
>
> Is there any way to do it?
> Thanks
>       Jaime

The problem with trying to do this with SNMP traps is that typically
you only ever get the one trap to show there's a problem and then only
the one trap to show it's okay again, so specifiying the number of
checks won't help you at all.

I expect you could achieve the result you need by setting
"first_notification_delay" in the service definition to 2 (assuming
your interval_length is set to the default 60 seconds this means 2
minutes).  This feature is new in Nagios 3 so if you're using Nagios 2
still you will need to upgrade.

See: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service

hth,

Jim