Added "Blame" to availability reports

Peter Burkholder pburkholder at aarp.org
Tue Mar 17 14:57:55 CET 2009

I've been asked to monitor a service provided by some commercial
software for the purpose of reporting whether the vendor is meeting
their contractual obligations.  We have a pretty stock installation
(no NDO running).

The one thing that's requested is the ability to report on
availability that's 'Our Fault' vs. availability thats 'Vendor Fault'.

1) Is anyone here aware of any add-ons that would provide the ability
to ascribe downtime periods to a cause, then provide reports on
downtime due to that cause?

2) If I were to write my own add-on, what would be the right approach?

3) Could I get the requested availability reporting if I were to
create some weird timeperiod like
'24x7_except_the_times_we_screwed_up', where that timeperiod were to
use 24x7, with exceptions for the downtime that were our fault?

Thanks for any advice,

Peter