Host checks instead of service checks

Deborah Martin Deborah.Martin at Kognitio.com
Mon Mar 16 16:34:25 CET 2009

Thanks Richard. I'll give that a try.

regards,
deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Quintin [mailto:rich+nagios at quintinz.com]
Sent: 16 March 2009 15:26
To: Deborah Martin
Cc: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Host checks instead of service checks

You could use check_dummy for the host check and just have it always return
OK.
Or perhaps the opposite you could add a check_dummy service check for all
hosts.

Which you choose will depend upon your personal preference and how you want
dependencies to be handled.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Deborah Martin
<Deborah.Martin at kognitio.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Currently, the main nagios box (running old version of SuSE) and
> Nagios
> 2.0b4 is running just with service checks, one of which is an ssh
> check (we don't allow ping)
>
> So in the web interface, I see all hosts as up.
>
> However, I've built a new box (which hopefully will replace the above)
> with SLES 10SP1 and Nagios 3.0.6. I've put the same config files
> (services.cfg and hosts.cfg)
>
> on the this new system. But now the hosts all show as "Pending". So I
> then moved the ssh check from a service check to a host check and can
> see that the more hosts I move the  less hosts are pending. That's good so
far...

> But, when I run the pre-flight check (/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
> nagios.cfg), I now get warnings to say some hosts don't have any
> service checks associated with it!
>
> This is true as some nodes will only have ssh checks against them
> whilst others will have other checks against them. I'd rather it
> didn't warn me as I have hundreds
>
> of hosts appear in the pre-flight check warnings and it now looks
> incredibly untidy to see all this.
>
> How can I get rid of these warnings ?
>
> I'm probably missing something here so any help would be appreciated.
> I'm wondering for example, if I should force the initial state to be
> UP for hosts rather than
>
> moving the ssh service check to a host check. But then what would
> happen if the service check found a node was down - would it reflect
> that in the "host problems" ?
>
> regards,
> deborah

> ***** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
> and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
> they are addressed.
>
> Any unauthorised distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.
> Whilst Kognitio Limited takes steps to prevent the transmission of
> viruses via e-mail, we can not guarantee that any email or attachment
> is free from computer viruses and you are strongly advised to
> undertake your own anti-virus precautions.
>
> Kognitio grants no warranties regarding performance, use or quality of
> any e-mail or attachment and undertakes no liability for loss or
> damage, howsoever caused.
>
> Kognitio Limited, a company registered in England and Wales.
> Registered number 0212 7833. Registered Office: 3a Waterside Park,
> Cookham Road, Bracknell, Berks, RG12 1RB. VAT number 864 4378 92.
>
> Kognitio Inc, a company incorporated in Delaware, principal office 180
> North Stetson, Suite 3500, Chicago, IL 60601, USA
> *****

> reporting any issue.

Richard Quintin, DBA
Database & Application Administration