WMI's

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Thu Mar 12 14:05:35 CET 2009

Martyn [12.03.2009 13:01]:
> How do I add the windows credentials.
>
> check_nt -H 192.168.1.1 -p 1248 -v INSTANCES -l Process
>
> If I run the above it will give me a refused connection, where in the above
> line would I add the username and password of the Windows box I want to
> connect to?

Maybe the output of "check_nt -h" helps you? In the notes below I read
"The NSClient service should be running on the server to get any
information (http://nsclient.ready2run.nl)", and the password can be
given by the -s param of the command line.

---snip---
check_nt v1991 (nagios-plugins 1.4.13)
Copyright (c) 2000 Yves Rubin (rubiyz at yahoo.com)
Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Nagios Plugin Development Team
        <nagiosplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

This plugin collects data from the NSClient service running on a
Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 server.

Usage:check_nt -H host -v variable [-p port] [-w warning] [-c
critical][-l params] [-d SHOWALL] [-t timeout]

 -h, --help
    Print detailed help screen
 -V, --version
    Print version information
Project-Id-Version: nagiosplug
Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: nagiosplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
POT-Creation-Date: 2008-09-25 09:35+0100
PO-Revision-Date: 2004-12-23 17:46+0100
Last-Translator:  <>
Language-Team: English <en at li.org>
 -H, --hostname=HOST
   Name of the host to check
 -p, --port=INTEGER
   Optional port number (default: 1248)
 -s <password>
   Password needed for the request
 -w, --warning=INTEGER
   Threshold which will result in a warning status
 -c, --critical=INTEGER
   Threshold which will result in a critical status
 -t, --timeout=INTEGER
   Seconds before connection attempt times out (default: 10)
 -h, --help
   Print this help screen
 -V, --version
   Print version information
 -v, --variable=STRING
   Variable to check

Valid variables are:
 CLIENTVERSION = Get the NSClient version
  If -l <version> is specified, will return warning if versions differ.
 CPULOAD =
  Average CPU load on last x minutes.
  Request a -l parameter with the following syntax:
  <minute range> should be less than 24*60.
  Thresholds are percentage and up to 10 requests can be done in one shot.
  ie: -l 60,90,95,120,90,95
 UPTIME =
  Get the uptime of the machine.
  No specific parameters. No warning or critical threshold
 USEDDISKSPACE =
  Size and percentage of disk use.
  Request a -l parameter containing the drive letter only.
  Warning and critical thresholds can be specified with -w and -c.
 MEMUSE =
  Memory use.
  Warning and critical thresholds can be specified with -w and -c.
 SERVICESTATE =
  Check the state of one or several services.
  Request a -l parameters with the following syntax:
  -l <service1>,<service2>,<service3>,...
  You can specify -d SHOWALL in case you want to see working services
  in the returned string.
 PROCSTATE =
  Check if one or several process are running.
  Same syntax as SERVICESTATE.
 COUNTER =
  Check any performance counter of Windows NT/2000.
  Request a -l parameters with the following syntax:
  -l "\\<performance object>\\counter","<description>
  The <description> parameter is optional and is given to a printf
  output command which requires a float parameter.
  If <description> does not include "%%", it is used as a label.
  Some examples:
  "Paging file usage is %%.2f %%%%"
  "%%.f %%%% paging file used."
 INSTANCES =
  Check any performance counter object of Windows NT/2000.
  <counter object> is a Windows Perfmon Counter object (eg. Process),
  if it is two words, it should be enclosed in quotes
  The returned results will be a comma-separated list of instances on
   the selected computer for that object.
  The purpose of this is to be run from command line to determine what
instances
   are available for monitoring without having to log onto the Windows
server
    to run Perfmon directly.
  It can also be used in scripts that automatically create Nagios service
   configuration files.
  Some examples:
  check_nt -H 192.168.1.1 -p 1248 -v INSTANCES -l Process

Notes:
 - The NSClient service should be running on the server to get any
information
   (http://nsclient.ready2run.nl).
 - Critical thresholds should be lower than warning thresholds
 - Default port 1248 is sometimes in use by other services. The error
   output when this happens contains "Cannot map xxxxx to protocol number".
   One fix for this is to change the port to something else on check_nt
   and on the client service it's connecting to.

Send email to nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net if you have questions
regarding use of this software. To submit patches or suggest improvements,
send email to nagiosplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
---pins---

HTH
Werner