Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing error

Thu Mar 12 08:14:50 CET 2009

Return code 127 means that Nagios wasn't able to start the plugin
executable - as you already found out from your googling, it usually
means that either the plugin is missing altogether, is in a different
directory from where Nagios expects it, or that it is not executable for
the nagios user. Note that it could also be permissions on one of the
directories on the path to the plugin.

In most distributions I have seen, plugins are either in
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins, or in /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins. Maybe Fruity
somehow changed the directory from lib64 to lib or vice versa?

You say that some checks are working and some aren't. Find one of the
plugins that works, and one that doesn't, and compare the permissions
and file locations.

And finally, if you have turned on one of the hardening mechanisms (such
as SELinux or AppArmor), a plugin may not be executable even with the
right permissions.

Since you say it happened when you used Fruity, my first guess is that
it somehow changed the directory where Nagios looks for plugins.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.