Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing error

Fritsch, Kurt Kurt.Fritsch at housing.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 11 16:53:01 CET 2009

I inherited a Nagios system and I am by no means an expert in its configuration, so I apologize in advance.

What I have been seeing for the last few days is that some of the services I'm monitoring are returning the following error for every host:
(Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

Some services are performing checks just fine, but others (most importantly check_ping) give the above error.  I've tried googling this and gotten some ideas about file permissions and making sure the Nagios.cfg file points to the directory where the plugins are located, but I can't seem to get this fixed.

This all started when I was using the Fruity interface to make some host changes and upload them to Nagios, I'm not sure if something got corrupted.  The Nagios service starts up without any errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kurt Fritsch
ResNet Manager