NSClient++ and .Net

Thu Mar 12 07:22:00 CET 2009

Actually, .Net 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 (and, coming soon, 4.x)
should be installed on pretty much all well-maintained Windows XP and
Windows 2003 systems. These versions coexist nicely.

Microsoft has been pushing them out as part of their update packages, so
the only reason they might not be installed is that either an
administrator specifically excluded them from installing due to some
incompatibility (which is rare; I haven't heard of any problems), or
hasn't been diligent about doing Windows updating in the first place. On
all the servers I manage, I use WSUS and have these updates pushed out
automatically. Or if you prefer, run Windows Update, and you will get
all of these versions of .Net.

That said, for Nagios purposes, I am not very fond of using .Net. The
reason is that it has a huge footprint - and that means, more memory,
slower loading times, and a host of other issues. Of the plugins I use
in TNTMonitoring, those that do use .Net are well over 1 MB *each*.
Those that don't use it are a few dozen KB each. Obviously, I'm looking
to replace those big plugins at some point.

It might be less severe for an agent that runs continuously than for a
plugin that is started once.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.