Layer 2 connectivity awareness?

Victor Lee durendel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:37:00 CET 2009

In the course of my learning (just starting out) how to work with Nagios I
have found that it isn't aware of layer 2 connections. In other words, if I
have 2 switches with a trunk between them Nagios doesn't seem to provide me
a way to either note that manually on the map nor does it seem to be aware
of that type of connectivity. The same applies to servers, there doesn't
seem to be a way to identify which switch a server is connected to. Now I
admit this might be due to my limited knowledge of the product so I ask the
members here. Am I correct in this assessment?