Problem after upgrade to 3.x: Recipient $

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Mar 11 02:03:31 CET 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Udo Müller wrote:

> I already read this and asked myself why nagios invokes that event
> handler.
>
> My configuration is e.g:
>
> define service {
>        flap_detection_enabled        0
>        check_freshness               0
>        check_period                  24x7
>        freshness_threshold           0
>        passive_checks_enabled        1
>        notification_period           24x7
>        retain_status_information     0
>        high_flap_threshold           0
>        service_description           Jira Webservice
>        parallelize_check             1
>        notification_options          w,u,c,r
>        normal_check_interval         1
>        host_name                     oldmz-main-01
>        obsess_over_service           0
>        retry_check_interval          1
>        event_handler_enabled         1
>        notifications_enabled         1
>        event_handler                 notify-by-email
>        active_checks_enabled         1
>        process_perf_data             1
>        is_volatile                   0
>        max_check_attempts            5
>        retain_nonstatus_information  0
>        check_command
> check_https_url!https://domain/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
>        low_flap_threshold            0
>        notification_interval         60
>        contact_groups                tomcat.admins
> }
>

> The problem is that i have the event_handler_enabled?

Yes, and notify-by-email specified as the event_handler.

> And the
> event_handler "notify_by_email" is used for notifications _and_ the
> event_handler?

notify_by_email isn't an eventhandler but you've appropriated it as
one above. Event handlers are used to perform special actions like
trying to restart a service before a notification is needed. The
notification command that gets run is determined from the contact{}
definition, and is not directly associated with a service. The contact
almost certainly has notify_by_email specified as their
service_notification_command (it's real purpose).

> With 2.x i only got a notification when the service isnt available
> for 5
> minutes. With 3.x the event_handler is executed every minute the
> service
> isnt available.

Yup. Event handlers are run for every retry_check_interval (1 minute
in your case). That's one reason they're not meant to be used for
notifications.

> So will it help if i disable the "event_handler_enabled"?

Absolutely. Someone seems to have been changed this in your config
during the upgrade. None of this behavior has changed between (many)
versions.

hth,

--
Marc