Problem after upgrade to 3.x: Recipient $

Udo Müller nagios-users at cs-ol.de
Wed Mar 11 01:38:57 CET 2009

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Udo Müller wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently upgraded my nagios 2.x to 3.x. Nagios' preflight-check
>> runs fine.
>
> Is this an implication that this worked under 2.x?

Correct.

>> For service notification i use this event handler:
>>
>> /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios ***** Notification Type:
>> $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service: $SERVICEDESC$ Host: $HOSTALIAS$ Address:
>> $HOSTADDRESS$ State: $SERVICESTATE$ Date/Time: $LONGDATETIME$
>> Additional
>> Info: $SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$
>> Service
>> Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
>

>> Why does nagios send to '$'?
>
> Event handlers are not meant to be used for notifications. The
> $CONTACTEMAIL$ macro isn't valid for them. If this was working under
> 2.x (I have doubt it was since the macro wasn't supposed to be valid
> then either), it shouldn't have been and would have been a bug.
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/macrolist.html

I already read this and asked myself why nagios invokes that event handler.

My configuration is e.g:

define service {
        flap_detection_enabled        0
        check_freshness               0
        check_period                  24x7
        freshness_threshold           0
        passive_checks_enabled        1
        notification_period           24x7
        retain_status_information     0
        high_flap_threshold           0
        service_description           Jira Webservice
        parallelize_check             1
        notification_options          w,u,c,r
        normal_check_interval         1
        host_name                     oldmz-main-01
        obsess_over_service           0
        retry_check_interval          1
        event_handler_enabled         1
        notifications_enabled         1
        event_handler                 notify-by-email
        active_checks_enabled         1
        process_perf_data             1
        is_volatile                   0
        max_check_attempts            5
        retain_nonstatus_information  0
        check_command
check_https_url!https://domain/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
        low_flap_threshold            0
        notification_interval         60
        contact_groups                tomcat.admins
}

The problem is that i have the event_handler_enabled? And the
event_handler "notify_by_email" is used for notifications _and_ the
event_handler?

With 2.x i only got a notification when the service isnt available for 5
minutes. With 3.x the event_handler is executed every minute the service
isnt available.

So will it help if i disable the "event_handler_enabled"?

Regards Udo