Sub-groups of hostgroups

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Mar 10 18:20:46 CET 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Andrew Davis wrote:

> Is it possible to do a sub-group of a hostgroup? For example, right
> now I have the following hostgroups:
>
> linux-servers
> unix-servers
> mac-servers
> network-devices
>
> I'm going to be adding "windows-servers" as a hostgroup, but within
> this group I want to further subgroup both for readability and
> notifications. For example, I'd like subgroups of:
>
>     directory-servers
>     exchange-servers
>     file-servers
>
> as sub-groups of the parent "windows-servers" hostgroup.
>
> Is this possible? If so, anyone have a working config/example they
> can share?

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#hostgroup

"hostgroup_members: 	This optional directive can be used to include
hosts from other "sub" host groups in this host group. Specify a comma-
delimited list of short names of other host groups whose members
should be included in this group."

Hosts can also be members of multiple hostgroups by specifying them on
the members line of the hostgroup definitions or comma separated in
the hostgroups parameter of the host definition.

--
Marc