FW: Timeperiods

Nick np121 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 22:41:05 CET 2009

That is one way of doing it, means changing 2 times per year for DST.

Is there a nagios "wish list" I can send this to and maybe in a future
version this can be programmed in.

Many thanks

Nick

On Mar 8, 2009, at 5:18 AM, Nick Price wrote:

> How do I configure nagios so it can handle this difference in
> timezones for the notification for the same host

I don't know if there is a better way to do this but what comes to
mind first is to just create two different timeperiods and assign them
to each contact. Assume one person and the nagios server are in CST
and someone else is UTC --

define timeperiod{
	name			workhours-cst
	timeperiod_name		workhours-cst
	monday			09:00-17:00
	tuesday			09:00-17:00
	wednesday		09:00-17:00
	thursday		09:00-17:00
	friday			09:00-17:00
	}

define timeperiod{
	name			workhours-utc
	timeperiod_name		workhours-utc
	monday			14:00-22:00
	tuesday			14:00-22:00
	wednesday		14:00-22:00
	thursday		14:00-22:00
	friday			14:00-22:00
	}

You'd have to change the UTC guy 2x a year to deal with DST time
changes if you honor that in your timezone. There are much more
complex time definitions you could create that could deal with DST if
you wanted.

> Also is there a maximum to how many hosts and / or services that can
> be monitored by nagios

Depends a lot on hardware you're running it on and the types of checks
you are using. You'll hit some points where you'll probably need to
change your way of doing things (i.e. at ~10,000 active checks you
might need to start looking at moving those to passive checks), etc.
There are others on the list running instances with many 10's of
thousands of checks that might be able to offer insight into those
kinds of things. If you expect to grow large, I'd recommend starting
out with a simple distributed setup and expand as needed.

--
Marc

any issue.