Nagios/NRPE relationship

Lee Azzarello lee at dropio.com
Thu Mar 5 16:23:00 CET 2009

It helps me to build up a NRPE service check manually. First execute
it manually on the host and confirm it's working, next copy the
command line into the nrpe configuration. Disconnect from that host
and connect to the host where nagios is running and manually execute
the check_nrpe plugin with the IP/hostname of the remote host to
confirm remote execution works. Then go into the service configuration
and lock it down. I prefer not to pass arguments via NRPE, so the
service check is always just the name of the NRPE command name on the
remote host.

There is also SNMP, though that's a real can of worms if you haven't
yet worked with Net-SNMP before.

-lee