Nagios/NRPE relationship

Martyn martyn at chetnet.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 00:26:03 CET 2009

Hi all, hope you do no think this is a stupid question; however I have to
ask it anyway for a better understanding.

I have my Nagios Server with NRPE plugins installed and I have a Linux
Remote Server that I want to monitor, I know that you need NRPE on the
remote Linux box but after that it goes a bit glazed, this is the bit I need
to understand.

Here is the standard configuration NRPE installed on my remote Linux box:

command[check_users]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_users -w 5 -c 10
command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
30,25,20
command[check_disk1]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 20 -c 10 -p
/dev/sda1
command[check_zombie_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w 5 -c 10
-s Z
command[check_total_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w 150 -c
200

So my question is, if I need to monitor SMTP on the remote box I would have
to ask the remote administrator to add the following command to their
nrpe.cfg:

Command[check_smtp]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_smtp -H localhost

Do they have to use the -H localhost directive or is there something
different they can use, the localhost just does not seem right looking at
the other examples above.

Then on my Nagios Server, under the .cfg box I want to monitor I define the
command:

define service{
        use                              generic-service
        host_name                   linux-server
        service_description       SSH
        check_command          check_nrpe!check_ssh
        }

Hope its not such a stupid question that it does not warrant a reply.

Rgs
Martyn