SELinux problem for SNMP

Giovanni Torres torresgi at ninds.nih.gov
Thu Mar 5 15:07:09 CET 2009

I have a CentOS machine that has selinux in enforcing/targeted mode and
is monitored with snmp checks by nagios successfully. The SE boolean
value for snmpd_disable_trans is off on my machine and I can still query
snmp.  I would recommend the following:
. check the firewall/iptables rules for udp port 161
. enable logging in iptables to see if the firewall is dropping packets
(requires more work)
. check the source and string under the com2sec definition in snmpd.conf
. check the view definition in snmpd.conf, defaults are a bit restrictive
. try using the setroubleshoot browser to see if any snmpd related
warnings pop up.  These warnings can include a section called Allowing
Access.

-Giovanni

Giovanni Torres
Network Administrator