Need help to monitor ASP.NET performance counters for windows 2008

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Thu Mar 5 05:03:10 CET 2009

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:20:09 +0530, "Sujit D. Kadam"
<sujit.kadam at netmagicsolutions.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am using Nagios Version 3.0.3 on server side.
>Need to monitor ASP.NET counters of Window 2008 (64 bit)
>On windows 2008 , I have installed pNsclient.exe
>also tried with nsclient++
>
>On server side in commands.cfg
>
># 'check_nt_Counters' command definition
>define command {
>        command_name    check_nt_counters
>        command_line    $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 1248 -s
>password -v COUNTER -l $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
>        }
>

>in services.cfg
>
>## Below is Service Definition for ASP.NET Apps v2.050727 - Sessions Active
>define service{
>        use                             windows-service
>        host_name                       host1
>        service_description             ASP.NET_Apps-Sessions_Active
>        check_command                   check_nt_counters!"\\ASP.NET
>Apps v2.050727\\Sessions Active"!2000!2500
>        }

Have you tried executing from the command line to see if the command
is executing properly? Whilst it shouldn't be a huge issue, have you
tried dropping the version specific counter?

  \\ASP.NET Applications\\Sessions Active

>I am getting the output value as 0 but exactly in perfmon I can see the
>exact value i.e approx 1000
>

>Also tried nrpe_nt to install on windows 2008. But throwing error while
>starting the service.
>
>Windows could not start th Nagios Remote Plugin Executor for NT/W at K
>service on Local Computer.
>Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request
>in timely manner.

So the service isn't starting that you're trying to use to get
counters from? nsclient++ seems to work okay, not tested on 2008 yet,
pretty soon though.

I don't have that counter monitored, but I do have RAS monitored with
nsclient++.
--
Jon Angliss