Need to monitor Solaris 10 and am new to Nagios

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Mar 4 09:38:41 CET 2009

2009/2/27 syed jafar <syed_jafar at hotmail.com>:

> I am new to Nagios and would like to monitor Solaris 10 systems (CPU, Disk,
> ...etc). Nagios server/host is running Redhat LINUX. Could someone let me
> know step by step process what to do. I have been told that it's kinda
> dfficult to monitor Solaris 10 system. If this is not possible is there a
> PERL or Shell script available to monitor the disk and CPU utilization.

If you are able to query CPU and disk using SNMP, that's probably
going to be the easiest way to monitor them on a Solaris system.  I
monitor an older Solaris system this way quite successfully.  You'll
find some good Nagios plugins for querying systems using SNMP at
http://nagios.manubulon.com/ and http://nagiosexchange.org

As for a step-by-step guide, if you find the documentation heavy
going, you could try one of the many books available on the subject.
My personal favourite is "Nagios" by Wolfgang Barth, pub. No Starch
Press http://nostarch.com/nagios_2e.htm .  I found the 1st edition
very helpful and have just bought the 2nd edition.

hth,

Jim