External commands and nagios.log

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jun 30 23:00:40 CEST 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Keller, Mark D wrote:

> Just looking at yesterdays logs, I have 1,491,321 lines for external
> commands and about the same for passive checks. We have do about
> 5300 service checks every five minutes which comes out to around
> 1,500,000. So they seem to match. Unless I am missing something.
>
> Service checks by far dominant the log. We have a distributed server
> send all service checks passively to the front end. Then NSCA sends
> them through an external command. So for each service entry I get a
> log like the following:
>
> [1246345229] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
> PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;myserver;Load;0;OK -
> [1246345230] PASSIVE SERVICE CHECK: myserver;Load;0;OK - load
> average: 0.19, 0.09, 0.08

These are the previously mentions passive service checks, not external
commands. Logging treats them differently even though the mechanism to
get both to nagios is the same.

> At this point I would just be happy to not log any of the external
> command entries. Still the log may be big, but much smaller.
>
> I can't seem to get any of the following options in nagios.cfg to
> make a difference. They all log no matter what they are set to:

> log_passive_checks

This is the one you want set to 0. Make sure that nagios is restarted
and that you only have one nagios daemon running. These are the
settings I use --

log_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
log_rotation_method=d
log_archive_path=/usr/local/nagios/var/archives
log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
log_event_handlers=1