change service check timeout in Nagios

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Tue Jun 30 16:16:07 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:10:40AM -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 03:44:01PM -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
> >
> > On Jun 29, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> >
> > > Surely there's a built-in way to tell Nagios that either a particular
> > > check can take longer, or increase the 10-second timeout within Nagios
> > > itself?  The service_check_timeout value kills runaway processes,
> > > which this isn't.
> >
> > But that's what you need to change. Think of it as the maximum amount
> > of time a plugin is allowed to run if the plugin doesn't terminate
> > itself within a reasonable amount of time. Misbehaving plugins are
> > just the most common reason to hit this timeout. It should be set
> > higher than the longest expected running time for any of your plugins.
>
> Thanks for your response.  The following settings have been my nagios
> config for months now:
>
> service_check_timeout=180
> host_check_timeout=60
>
> I would expect that a service check plugin would be allowed to run for
> 3 minutes.  But the Web interface and log still show:
>
> CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
>
> Obviously, I'm missing something somewhere?  Do any other config
> settings interact with this somehow?
>
> This is with 3.0.6 on FreeBSD 7.2 i386, BTW.

<Lucas smacks his own forehead and says bad things about his own
upbringing>

Posted so that an answer appears in the archives.

I'm using "negate -u" CRITICAL in front of my check.  negate has its
own timeout value that must be set to extend the life of a check!

Not a Nagios issue at all.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
Latest book:  Cisco Routers for the Desperate, 2nd Edition