Wildcards in escalation stopped working

Manuel Fortier-Lanctot manuel.fortier-lanctot at gameloft.com
Fri Jun 26 21:20:20 CEST 2009

I haven't made any changes to our escalation setup in a while but now it
suddenly stopped working. Basically, I want escalation on all hosts and
services except a few core ones.
Here is what I have:

define hostgroup{
    hostgroup_name    no_escalation
    alias             no_escal
    member            <bunch of critical hosts listed here>
}

define hostescalation{
    host_name               *
    hostgroup_name          !no_escalation
    first_notification      1
    last_notification       1
    notification_interval   5
    contact_groups          level-1-group
    escalation_period       escalation-hours
}

define serviceescalation{
   service_description     *
   hostgroup_name          *,!no_escalation
   first_notification      1
   last_notification       1
   notification_interval   5
   contact_groups          level-1-group
   escalation_period       escalation-hours
}

This setup worked fine for a long time but today I just reloaded the
config and it barfs with:
Error: Could not expand services specified in service escalation (config
file '/etc/nagios3/escalation.cfg', starting on line 21)

Said line 21 is the start of the serviceesclation section. Again, this
worked fine for a while and I reloaded a few times without problems,
except today.
Could it be possible a that a newly added host or service somewhere
cause a problem with the globbing?

If anybody has any idea, help would be appreciated.

--
Manuel Fortier-Lanctot