adding custom macros/variables/objects

Eric Pearce epearce at amberpoint.com
Thu Jun 25 20:35:09 CEST 2009

I currently use the two "url" variables for different ways of connecting to a host from the nagios webpage:

define host{
        use     generic-host
        host_name       vpn-server
        address         192.168.1.1
        contact_groups  it
        notes_url       https://192.168.1.1
        action_url      ssh://192.168.1.1
        statusmap_image cisco.png
}

I just click on the "notes" or "action" icon and it fires up a new browser or ssh window to the host.  What I would like to do is add more of these "url" variables, for example, connect to a digital KVM switch, turn the host power on and off with some SNMP commands, connect to the host RAID controller's web interface, etc.  Is there an easy way to add more of these variables and have them show up in the GUI?   I see the documentation regarding custom object variables, but a quick glance at the cgi source code made it appear that all this stuff is hard-coded.   I suppose I could use one the existing "url" variables to send me to another landing page with my custom buttons, but it would nice to have everything in one spot in the GUI.    I'm also open to other ways to doing the same thing.
Thanks
-e