Problem getting past main page

Guy Waugh guidosh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:56:57 CEST 2009

Hi again,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. <AHKAPLAN at partners.org>wrote:

>  Hi there --
>
> I can answer your questions in the order they were asked:
>
> 1. I made sure to restart apache after the changes were made via the "sudo
> /etc/init.d/httpd restart" command syntax.

OK, great. Just making sure :-)

> 2. The output of the apachectl configtest is the following:
>             [Thu Jun 25 10:22:48 2009] [warn] The ScriptAlias directive in
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 566 will probably never match because it
> overlaps an earlier Alias.
>             [Thu Jun 25 10:22:48 2009] [warn] The Alias directive in
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 583 will probably never match because it
> overlaps an earlier Alias.
>             Syntax OK

Right. This indicates that the configuration options for the 'ScriptAlias
/nagios/cgi-bin /usr/local/nagios/sbin' and 'Alias /nagios
/usr/local/nagios/share' on lines 566 and 583 of your httpd.conf file aren't
taking effect. This is probably because there is a file in /etc/httpd/conf.d
(possibly 'nagios.conf'?) that is being loaded before apache parses those
lines in your httpd.conf file (see line 210 of your httpd.conf file:
'include conf.d/*.conf'). Have a look at the file in /etc/httpd/conf.d and
see what ScriptAlias and Alias definitions exist in that file. It might in
fact make more sense to put the nagios web configuration in that file rather
than in the httpd.conf file... though it's up to you. There should only be
one definition for the nagios Alias and ScriptAlias definitions, and they
should be as they currently are in your httpd.conf file.

> 3. The files that are located in the /usr/local/nagios/sbin directory are
> the following:
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 229964 Jun 24 15:48 avail.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 225272 Jun 24 15:48 cmd.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 193036 Jun 24 15:48 config.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 246284 Jun 24 15:48 extinfo.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 197292 Jun 24 15:48 histogram.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 176684 Jun 24 15:48 history.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 172812 Jun 24 15:48
> notifications.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 168460 Jun 24 15:48 outages.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 172844 Jun 24 15:48 showlog.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 234156 Jun 24 15:48 status.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 190220 Jun 24 15:48 statusmap.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 188940 Jun 24 15:48 statuswml.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 172588 Jun 24 15:48 statuswrl.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 193100 Jun 24 15:48 summary.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 184940 Jun 24 15:48 tac.cgi
>             -rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 201388 Jun 24 15:48 trends.cgi

That all looks good, because these files are executable by everybody, so the
apache user will be able to execute them.

> 4. The permissions of the files would seem to indicate the apache user has
> read and execute permissions. If necessary, I can change the permissions
>     to match those of the owner and group.

No, it looks fine.

> 5. I ran the tail -f command on the error_log file, and went through the
> motions of clicking on the links of the main page. The error messages
> appeared
>    on-screen, while the following entries appeared in the log file:
>
>       [Thu Jun 25 10:29:38 2009] [error] [<nagios server>] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/nagios/share/cgi-bin, referer: http://<nagios
> server>/nagios/side.php <http://132.183.12.194/nagios/side.php>
>       [Thu Jun 25 10:29:44 2009] [error] [<nagios server>] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/nagios/share/cgi-bin, referer: http://<nagios
> server>/nagios/side.php <http://132.183.12.194/nagios/side.php>
>       [Thu Jun 25 10:29:48 2009] [error] [<nagios server>] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/nagios/share/cgi-bin, referer: http://<nagios
> server>/nagios/side.php <http://132.183.12.194/nagios/side.php>

OK... you can see here that apache has been configured to look for the CGIs
in /usr/local/nagios/share/cgi-bin, not /usr/local/nagios/sbin. This must be
the definition in the apache configuration file in /etc/httpd/conf.d .

> <http://132.183.12.194/nagios/side.php>
> 6. When I go to the http://<nagioshost>/nagios page, I get the splash
> screen for the Nagios application. The error occurs whenever I click on any
> of the
>     links starting from the Current Status group and going down the list.

OK.

> 7. The host in question is a CentOS 5.3 system running on the i386
> architecture.
>
> 8. The original Nagios 2.6 directory was copied as a tar file and via sftp
> from the original Nagios server to the new one. The tar file was extracted
> into the
>     /usr/local directory. The nagios user and group were created, with the
> former being given a home directory and utilizing the nologin shell. The
> Nagios
>    3.1.2 application was compiled from source on the new server, with the
> following arguments:
>
>     configured by ./configure, generated by GNU Autoconf 2.61, with
> options \"'--prefix=/usr/local/nagios' '--with-nagios-user=nagios'
> '--with-nagios-grp=nagios'\"

OK. Provided nagios itself is running, that's probably fine.

> What do you think?

Cheers,
Guy.