nagvis requires ndoutils; how stable is ndoutils?

Thu Jun 25 07:20:37 CEST 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:

>     I just installed ndoutils with mysql. There indeed was one
>     pitfall: the
>     database is growing quite large very quickly. Eventually, the DB got
>     sluggish and couldn't keep up with the data Nagios threw at it (the DB
>     server is quite underpowered). It got so bad that after a week or so,
>     Nagios wouldn't even start up.
>
>     It turned out that it wasn't primarily the database itself, but binary
>     logging. It is turned on by default (at least on CentOS) but you only
>     need it for replication. If you are not using replication, simply turn
>     off binary logging and you should be good to go. At least, I hope
>     so; I
>     only made that change yesterday, so I won't know for another week
>     or so.
>

> Thanks for all those helpful comments guys! You might have saved me
> from a few disasters here. I think I am staying away from Nagvis (and
> ndoutils ) for now.
>
> Nagviz seems to me one of those tools that simply look great but the
> back-end still needs quite some work before I'd be brave enough to
> unleash it in a production environment!
I think that is a bit overreacting. ndoutils is a database client.
Databases need management and tuning to get you good performance -
that's just routine, regardless of the brand you are using: mysql, SQL
Server, Oracle, Postgres, .... No amount of work or "polishing" will
change that. There's a reason DBAs are highly valued professionals.

For that matter, my database would have had this problem regardless of
ndoutils. It's just that ndoutils writes a lot more to the database than
my other applications (by nature, not ndoutils' fault).

By the way, the tuning I suggested seems to have done the trick. It's
been running for more than a week without a hitch, and without the
increase in disk space I had observed before.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.