Storage question

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Sun Jun 21 11:48:03 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:35, Alexandra Kisin <KISIN at il.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hello, Guys.
>
> I'm going to setup a Nagios server at my site. It will be a virtual machine
> which will perform monitoring on about 1000 Linux/Unix servers.
> My question is regarding the storage space I need to allocate for my Nagios
> server. I don't know if it is using a lot of storage for logs, or maybe for
> DB. So how much space do I need on Nagios server in order to monitor about
> 1000 clients.

When you setup your VM, pay careful attention to connections -- my company
makes a product that hammers TCP and SNMP, and we don't support it in VM
because apparently we hit resource limits in the number of outbound and
inbound connections.

Of course, be sure that your physical hosts are all within similar VLANs, in
case you have filters/policies between your VLANs.  I'd recommend VMotion on
a regular basis when you have no Nagios issues to chase to ensure that your
guest image can safely continue processing on different physical machines
(ie one machine might have its physical NIC in a different VLAN, or might be
missing from a group permitted to connect to the database servers, etc)

(our product is a really cool FC SAN optimization suite, so has a number of
other factors)

Allan
--
allanc at chickenandporn.com  "金鱼" http://linkedin.com/in/goldfish