Can nagios replace whatsup

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Jun 17 19:45:29 CEST 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 2:33 AM, Alex Dehaini wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> My company uses nagios and whatsup together. Nagios helps us to
> monitor services and send out notifications and whatsup does live
> network monitoring. Recently, my supervisor wants me to scrap
> whatsup for nagios. I am not very comfortable with his decision.
> What's up is a spot-check tool.
>
> Both products views are different. Our nagios server checks over 800
> hosts and services while whatsup checks less than 80 devices.
>
> Is there a way to configure nagios to be a spot check tool? What do
> you guys suggest?
>
> I will not mind getting an open-source graphical spot-check tool
> like whatsup

I'm not familiar with whatsup myself, but from what you are saying, it
sounds to me like the main difference is that nagios is checking many
more hosts than whatsup, although they are both doing similar
monitoring. Just looking at the less than 80 hosts monitored by
whatsup in nagios is problematic because they get lost among all the
other hosts that nagios is checking. Is that correct? If so, perhaps
you could simply configure a separate contact in nagios, probably with
notification options set to none, and only assign this contact to the
80 or so hosts you want to monitor closely. Then when you log in as
that user, only those 80 or so hosts are visible. At least, that is my
understanding of how contacts work: only the hosts for which you are a
contact are displayed. Perhaps someone else could expound on this as a
solution?

I also seem to recall reading about/briefly looking at some sort of
front-end for nagios that provides a much more customizable view,
where you could select just the hosts you want. I think it was Nagios
Looking glass: < http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Addons/Frontends-(GUIs-and-CLIs)/Web-Interfaces/Nagios-Looking-Glass/details
  > Perhaps this will suit your purposes?
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician II