disk IO for windows?

Frater, Greg J GJFRATER at bechtel.com
Thu Jun 11 18:08:18 CEST 2009

Hi All,

We just started monitoring IO on our Windows servers.  We measure two PerfMon counters (using the nsclient++ agent).

System\File Control Operations/sec

Description: File Control Operations/sec is the combined rate of file system operations that are neither reads nor writes, such as file system control requests and requests for information about device characteristics or status.  This is the inverse of System: File Data Operations/sec and is measured in number of operations perf second.  This counter displays the difference between the values observed in the last two samples, divided by the duration of the sample interval.

System\Data Operations/sec

Description: File Data Operations/ sec is the combined rate of read and write operations on all logical disks on the computer.  This is the inverse of System: File Control Operations/sec.  This counter displays the difference between the values observed in the last two samples, divided by the duration of the sample interval.

I'm not sure what good thresholds are for these, currently we have a warning at 10000 and critical at 20000 on our test servers.  We've had a couple of servers cross those thresholds but I don't have a good sense for what they should be yet.  I've never seen any documentation regarding what a Windows box can do (in terms of IO).

>From a command line they look like this:

check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c CheckCounter -a "\\System\\File Data Operations/Sec" ShowAll MaxWarn=10000 MaxCrit=20000

Regards,

-greg